One thing that I thought that was interesting was how in module 5 it talks about family context. They mention how at first parents start out as external authority figures, they lay down the consequences for behavior but how eventually, the child adopts the norms set down by their parents as their own moral code. It was always interesting for me when I was in school, to see how people acted in class, or towards authority and then to see their parents later on. Generally, the child and the parent exhibited the same behavior. Some people are afraid to become their parents and for good reason according to what I read. You generally adopt your parents moral code.
But, even if the family for some does not provide the moral base that helps them become productive members of society, there are other influences that can be had. School is one of them. Teachers can help provide their students with some of that by helping students understand why rules exist and help them to develop that moral code. They can help them learn that every choice has a consequence, both good and bad. They also can help them develop empathy, respect and other such pro social behaviors. After the parents, peers and school have the most impact on a child's moral development.
As a kid, I didn't always recognize the influence that my peers had on me but, after my parents I think they helped influence me the most, and what I have become. some of what I gained was good and some not so good. You really are very influenced by those around you, for good and bad.
The Dig- Class Prezi
15 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment